In the summer time I crave lemony desserts. As soon as the sun is out and shining, I want to make all things bright and lemony. And these lemon poppy seed cookies are the perfection.
These sugar cookies have lemon essential oil for lots of lemon flavor. The poppy seed completes it with the little specs.
For these you can use a few different name brands for the oil just make sure it a grade that is safe to ingest.
These cookies get a little thick in the oven as they bake, but then flatten out as they cool. When I took these out of the oven the lemon smell was so strong it was fabulous. The 1st bite? to-die-for so much lemon in one cookie with the perfect texture!
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds (and more for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 375º F
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; set aside
- In a medium bowl, blend the butter and sugar until creamy
- Add in lemon essential oil, egg, and vanilla and beat for 3 minutes.
- Mix the remaining stick of butter, sugar on until smooth. Add the poppy seeds and blend well.
- Add the dry mixture to the creamy ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until combined
- Drop 1 teaspoon cookie dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and sprinkle with more poppy seeds if desired
- Bake for 7-8 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.