I’ve always loved maraschino cherries.
As a kid in my Shirley Temples, as an adult in my Cocktails, and they’re front and center in my awesome cute pink cherry cookies!!
Soft, buttery, pink cookies with the surprise of a juicy, sweet maraschino cherry in the middle that also helps keep the cookies moist. The cherry juice glaze boosts the cherry flavor even more.
I also like to add a little variety when decorating them. I like to dip a few , I like to drizzle a few and I like to dip and sprinkle some. For goodness sake have fun with it. Cookies are all about fun. These cookies freeze well for your holiday party. Just store them in airtight containers with wax paper between the layers and they will be good for about 2 months!
These little cookies are really too simple to mix together-it’s a basic recipe with a little added boost of maraschino cherries in the batter with some cream cheese. I think the addition of mini chocolate chips to the mix might be on the list for next time.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 4 oz (1/2 brick) cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 20 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3-5 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice (or grenadine)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix together cake mix, cream cheese, butter and egg.
- Portion into 1 1/2 Tablespoon-sized balls (I used a cookie scoop to help with this). You should end up with approximately 20 cookie balls.
- Take one ball and flatten it in your hand. Place the cherry on top and fold the cookie dough around the cherry (carefully) to cover it completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until cracked and no longer glossy.
- Cool the cookies on a cooling rack as you prepare the drizzle.
- Mix together the sugar and maraschino cherry juice - starting with 3 Tablespoons and adding more to get a runny yet still somewhat thick texture.
- Drizzle the pink cherry drizzle over the cookies and allow to set before serving or packaging.