Summer is on its way, whether it fully seems like it is or not at the moment. If you are looking for a great way to cool down in the summer heat, ice cream usually does the trick. This Ocean Water Ice Cream Float is the perfect refreshing dessert drink to keep you cool this summer.
Plus, it’s colorful and whimsical so just looking at it will make you smile! Throw on some red Swedish fish, and it’s the perfect red, white and blue treat to serve for the 4th of July.
Floats are so nostalgic for me, they bring back memories of hot summer days, fun trips to the ice cream shop and delicious floats. Whether it is a traditional root beer float, or any other kind under the sun, I always find myself instantly transported back to my childhood.
This float is a bit different though. It uses lime soda and yummy and rich vanilla ice cream, making it an extremely refreshing yet indulgent drink.
Not only does it taste really good, but it is also beautiful. Reminiscent of the ocean, the colours combine in the glass to make a gorgeous looking beverage.
This float is almost like the ocean in the glass, but trust me, it tastes better than actual ocean water. Sweet, creamy and delicious, everyone is sure to enjoy this.
Refreshing and rich!
This float is inspired by the Ocean Water® drink you can get at Sonic Drive-In. You can ask for them to serve it as a float if you happen to have a Sonic near you.
If you don’t have Sonic conveniently located nearby, don’t worry — you can make this treat right at home!
Let’s get started making this Ocean Water Float.
What You Need to Make This Ocean Water Float
This float recipe is so easy to make, it is perfect for a crowd. Whether you are having a pool party or a backyard barbecue, these are a great drink to whip up and serve.
- 3 tablespoons of water – Distilled water works well. You will be creating a sort of simple syrup.
- 3 tablespoons of sugar – Use regular white sugar for this mixture.
- Half a teaspoon of coconut extract – This can be found at your local grocery store.
- Blue food coloring – The food coloring will make it look more like ocean water.
- 24 ounces of lemon lime soda – Any brand works just fine.
- 1 package of vanilla ice cream – We like to use high quality, pure vanilla ice cream as it is rich and delicious.
How to Make this Ocean Water Ice Cream Float
Combine the water and sugar in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir this mixture to form a syrup.
Add the coconut extract and stir to combine. Set this mixture aside to cool.
After the syrup has cooled, add three drops of blue food coloring and mix well.
Pour this syrup into your lemon lime soda and stir well to combine.
Scoop two scoops of your vanilla ice cream into a small cup.
Pour the ocean water mixture over top of the ice cream.
Serve and enjoy! I added some Swedish Fish to play up the ocean theme.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- Blue food coloring
- 24 ounces lemon lime soda
- 1 package vanilla ice cream
- Combine the water and sugar in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and stir to form a syrup. Add the coconut extract and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- After the syrup has cooled, add three drops of blue food coloring. Mix the food coloring into the syrup and pour into the lemon lime soda. Stir to combine.
- Scoop two scoops of ice cream in a small cup. Pour the ocean water over the top of the ice cream. Serve immediately.