There is just something so delicious about chocolate and caramel together. I for one am almost transported back to childhood when I eat these items together. That is why I just love these Turtle Cupcakes. Not only are they yummy, but they remind me of my childhood.
I personally love to make these for every occasion. In fact, half the time I don’t even need a reason to make them, other than I want to indulge. These cupcakes are the perfect combination of caramel, pecans and delicious chocolate. They taste very much like those popular little chocolate clusters everyone has come to know and love.
The frosting on top is divine, and when paired with that delicious caramel drizzle, you will be happy you made these. I know I always am.
This has very much become one of my favorite cupcake recipes. It is simple, because you really only need your favorite brand of chocolate cake mix and a few other simple ingredients.
Indulgent and delicious.
Let’s get started making these phenomenal Turtle Cupcakes.
What You Need
This recipe really only requires a few easy ingredients and little bit of time. When it comes to the ingredients required, it will be simple to find them and put them all together.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix – Go with whatever brand you prefer
- The ingredients on the box – You want to ensure that you follow the directions on the box and get the ingredients required.
- 1 cup of caramel sundae sauce – When choosing a sauce, make sure you use the thickest one you can.
- 1/3 of a cup of crushed pecan pieces – These are important to create a delicious texture to your cupcakes.
- 1 cup of butter – This will be for the frosting so you will want to ensure it is softened and easy to combine into the other ingredients.
- 4 to 5 cups of powdered sugar – This is also called icing sugar. It is important to use this to get the texture you want for your icing.
- ½ a cup of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Milk or cream – This can be added as desired.
How to Make Turtle Cupcakes
Prepare your boxed cake mix as per the instructions on the box.
Allow your cupcakes to fully cool as your prepare the frosting.
Using a large mixing bowl, combine the butter with the 4 cups of powdered sugar and the cocoa powder.
Beat well for about 2 minutes.
Add in the vanilla and adjust the consistency as desired with more sugar or milk.
Scoop the frosting into a popping bag and fit it with a star tip
Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, use a knife or a cupcake corer and remove about 1 to 2 inches from the center of the cupcakes. Set aside the parts that were removed.
Fill the center of each cupcake some of the caramel sundae sauce and replace with a small amount of the removed center.
Swirl the chocolate frosting over top of the cupcakes. To do this, start at the center and then work outwards toward the edges and then back in toward the center. This will create a dome effect.
Drizzle the top of the cupcake with the additional caramel sauce and top with the pieces of crushed pecans.
Enjoy your cupcakes!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- PLUS directions called for on the box
- 1 cup caramel sundae sauce - thicker is better
- 1/3 cup crushed pecan pieces
- 1 cup butter
- 4-5 cups powdered icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Milk or cream, as desired
- Prepare the boxed cake mix as described on the box.
- Allow cupcakes to cool as you prepare the frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, 4 cups of powdered sugar and the cocoa powder. Beat well for 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and adjust the consistency as desired with more sugar or milk.
- Scoop the frosting into a piping bag fit with a star tip.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, use a knife or cupcake corer to remove 1" to 2" of a 1/2" diameter area from the center of the cupcakes (do not discard).
- Fill the center of each cupcake with some of the caramel sundae sauce, then replace with a small amount of the cored cupcake to seal in the caramel.
- Swirl the chocolate frosting over the cupcakes, starting in the center then working out to the edges of the cupcake and back to center to create a dome effect.
- Drizzle with additional caramel sundae sauce and top with pecan pieces.
Need to run to the store first to grab a few ingredients? Pin the recipe so you can find it when you’re ready to make them!